Talk:Merit's Encoded Message
Could we switch and use all caps for the guessed words and lowercase "word" for the unguessed ones? Also, do we make a guess first, or roll cryptography first? --Kasumi 20:44, 18 February 2011 (UTC)
- There are some capitalized letters, so you might not want that, but if people would prefer that, we can switch. If you roll first, that tells you how many successes you have to use, so I recommend doing it in that order. I... um, I can't figure out why you would guess without rolling, we wouldn't fill in anything if you didn't have any successes... --Boojum 17:55, 19 February 2011 (UTC)
- Also, if you think it's helpful, you can make one guess at a time, up to your number of successes, rather than guessing a bunch of things at once. --Boojum 23:29, 21 February 2011 (UTC)
First quoted section
And the WORD of the WORD WORD in the WORD of the WORD, and WORD WORD WORD WORD the WORD, WORD WORD WORD WORD WORD WORD. And the WORD of the WORD WORD in the WORD of the WORD, and WORD WORD WORD WORD the WORD, WORD WORD WORD WORD WORD WORD. And the WORD of the WORD WORD in the spirit of the WORD, and WORD WORD WORD WORD the WORD, WORD WORD WORD WORD
This bit at the end of the first quoted section looks to me like some sort of ritual incant, what with the parallel structure and whatnot. If one were invoking some sort of triune assemblage of which 'spirit' was the third part, would the first two parts be 'body' and 'mind'? Xian 21:43, 4 March 2011 (UTC)
Ideas people might try.
I'm not good at decoding, but the "___ of the Dragon" makes me think of some possibilities:
Once, the heart of the empire was "the Dragon's Throne." Throne seems likely - the WORD of the WORD of the Dragon could be talking about some order stationed in the Dragon's Throne.
We should check the word "name", in case it's talking about the renaming. Shen's Gate is close enough to the wall that whoever wrote it could have been over the wall at some point and noticed the change.
egg, spirit, breath, claw, guardian, guardians.
And I'd be curious if the word "wall" was in there somewhere.
--Ringrose 17:19, 16 March 2011 (UTC)
Hey Cai Wen
Stop guessing "Spider" and try a word you haven't guessed before, like "he", "she", or "it". Xian 20:20, 24 March 2011 (UTC)
Crazy attempt to record wrong guesses per word
Testing wiki formatting. Mouse over WORDs to see what we've already tried in that spot.
These are the words I found upon the WORD of the WORD, as I found it, and as I transcribed it, before it was destroyed. May these words not fall into the hands of the enemies of the Dragon.
"And in the last days of the great Lo Tan, did he give his WORD and WORD to the brotherhood of Keepers. And as the Cycle WORD turns, with each Great Spirit rising to ascendency and then falling once more only to rise again, so did the WORD WORD that the Dragon Emperors would return. And so as the WORD of WORD WORD, the Keepers would protect Their WORD from those who would WORD it and cause the WORD of the Dragon's WORD. And thus did the WORD Keepers WORD their charge, and WORD the three Keys to the Vault and WORD them WORD the three WORD of the Dragon. And the WORD of the Yin was in the body of the land, and it was WORD beneath the earth, where it would not be found. And the WORD of the Chi was in the heart of the land, and it was WORD within the WORD, where it would not be found. And the WORD of the Yang was in the spirit of the land, and it was WORD within the WORD, where it would not"
These are the words I found upon the scroll, as I found it, and as I transcribed it, before it was stolen. May these words not fall into the hands of the enemies of the Dragon.
"The Great Keeper is not able to stop us. The first WORD are dead, though they did manage to WORD the WORD and WORD their Key WORD WORD, never to be WORD. The second WORD have made a WORD with WORD and WORD a piece of the WORD away from the WORD, where it can not be WORD. But the third WORD WORD WORD and have WORD their charge. We shall WORD into the WORD of the WORD and WORD the WORD this very day, and the Dragon's Hoard will be ours."
These are the words I have WORD, and I believe they are true. Thus, I am the last Great Keeper. The rest of the WORD are dead, or lost, or worse, and so it is only I who WORD to fulfill our WORD. Though I do not have the Keys, I do have the blessing of Dragon. I shall WORD his WORD WORD to those who would defy his will, and they shall be bound to His WORD, as if they were Keepers themselves. Until freed by WORD of the Dragon, they shall WORD, WORD WORD their WORD, as WORD PRONOUN WORD WORD with WORD. The Dragon's will shall prevail until He returns.
- Oooh, nice. When initially thinking about the mechanic, we were thinking of doing mouseovers for information on a single word (if there's ever more than one hint worth of information), but it hadn't come up yet. --Boojum 18:45, 12 May 2011 (UTC)
- It's better than the other stuff I tried, at least. Cumbersome to convert my spreadsheet into that format by hand, though, so I'll ponder how to convert it automagically. --Haydn 18:55, 12 May 2011 (UTC)
- This is great. My hat's not pointy enough to do it any way but by hand, but I can start adding my previous guesses in off my spreadheet. Xian 14:35, 13 May 2011 (UTC)
- I have a reasonably tall pointy hat in the field of text-frobulation, if someone wants to send me a spreadsheet to try playing with. --Boojum 14:53, 13 May 2011 (UTC)
- I forgot that, unfortunately, the way I've been managing my guesses means that previous guesses are not preserved anywhere in the sheet, so by hand is the only way to go back and include mine. Xian 16:08, 15 May 2011 (UTC)
- Hmm. This may be a job for Perl. After the log gets written, though. :) --Boojum 16:22, 15 May 2011 (UTC)
- I'm adding in my (and Xiao Fa's) previous guesses by hand. If any of the guessed words seem sufficiently unlikely to ever be tried again, go ahead and remove them. I already can't guess the same word twice in the same place. Xian 17:43, 15 May 2011 (UTC)
Us humans are usually fairly forgiving, but even fairly sophisticated text-frobulation can't cope with misspellings, so we may need to be more careful than when we're simply writing to be understood.
Prophecy is the noun. Prophesy is the verb. Phrophesy isn't anything. Xian 00:39, 18 May 2011 (UTC)
- At this point, there are few enough words that I'm looking by eye rather than doing anything automatic. ascendency/ascendancy was okay, and I will try to not hold obvious typos against you, but I don't count plurality differences, conjugation differences, etc. --Boojum 00:54, 18 May 2011 (UTC)