Concept: Phoenix/Metal Sorcerer
History: Shen-Ji was born to a poor family in the Butterfly Kingdom 23 years ago. He was discovered by a sorceror/diviner at the age of 2 and was adopted by his master (Bai Jing-Zhe) at that time. He has no memories or connection to his birth family.
Shen-Ji is a classic cloistered academic type; he has spent his entire life either studying sorcery or at court. He developed sword skill essentially as an academic exercise and because he is a metal sorceror; he has no combat experience outside dueling. He also doesn't carry a sword normally since it doesn't fit the classic image of a sorceror; if needed he summons a sword. Shen-Ji is comfortable in a civilized setting and has never gone beyond the city gates. Because he has no experience in the real world, his master is pushing him out now to get out and learn how things work outside.
Plot Hook: Shen-Ji's real family is a complete unknown to him. He has been too involved in studying to really miss them so far, but would likely be curious if the subject were to come up. However, he is ambivalent since they could potentially be an embarassment in his current life at court.
Source: Master Bai, a metal sorceror.
|Force/Offense||Strength = 6||Accuracy = 4||Intelligence = 7||Charisma = 5||Yang = 8|
|Precision/Defense||Resistance = 5||Dexterity = 7||Wit = 5||Grace = 5||Yin = 8|
|Reserve||Health = 5||Energy = 5||Resolve = 5||Status = 5||Chi = 8|
|Hit Points||HP = (Health + Energy) * 5 = 50|
|Move||Move = (Strength + Energy) / 2 = 5.5 = 6|
- Lesser Sword of the Earth (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 2/3/1/1/6)
Summons a normal (x3) metal sword. Effect is that the blade emerges from the ground in front of caster. Sword lasts for duration of scene/combat and then sinks back into the ground.
- Minor Control of Metal (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 2/3/1/1/6)
Caster can cause an object of up to Yang successes*5 pounds total weight and having a non-trivial metal component to move/fly at a rate of Yang successes per phase. Not usable as a weapon.
- Ritual Tweak (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 5/1/1/1/5)
1/run, spend a Yin to get a hint from the GM about a ritual you're working on.
- Polish Metal (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 1/4/1/1/4)
Caster has the ability to polish and shine a metal object or surface, removing grime, tarnish, surface rust, etc. Also can remove small nicks and dents, sufficient to hone a normal sword. Will not restore or improve structural integrity or give any combat bonuses.
- Create Coinage (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 3/2/1/1/6)
Caster can create a handful of zhu, allowing him to spend up to 99 zhu on something.
- Useful Pet (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 3/2/1/1/6)
Once per run, may do something useful.
- He's Not Molting, He's Pining For The Fjords (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 2/2/1/1/4)
My pet phoenix sheds a phoenix feather for me to use; does not stack.
- Finger on the Balance (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 2/3/1/1/6)
As part of a sorcerous ritual, I can adjust the balance of one element/action/cycle. (Metal, I can adjust all the way; others less so.)
- Flying Disk of Metal (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 2/5/1/1/10)
Summons a 3' diameter metal disk that the caster stands on; disk will fly via caster's mental control. Damage to the disk may impact speed and ability to fly. Movement rate = Yang successes per phase.
- Wear Armor (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 2/6/1/1.5/18)
Can wear metal armor
- Sense Magic (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 3/4/1/1/12)
Once per turn/10 mins, can sense nearby magic items and effects.
- Firestorm (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 9/1/1/1.5/13)
Once per run, spend a Yang to do [Yang successes]*3 points of damage to everyone on the map who does not have a Swift Tiger tattoo.
- Minor Ritual Power
+1 die to Magic Ritual Rolls (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 2/5/1/1/10)
- Wall of Iron (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 4/4/1/1/16)
The caster can cause a wall of iron to rise up from the ground in front of him, Yang successes in hexes long.
- Firepower (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 3/5/1/1/15)
+3 dice to sorcery rolls.
- See the Strike (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 3/5/1/1.5/22)
Dodge with Yin.
- Sorcerous Ease (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 4/5/1/1/20)
-1 difficulty on all sorcery rolls.
- Heavify Weapons (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 5/4/1/1/20)
A metal weapon held by my target (within 8 hexes) becomes extremely heavy and falls to the ground. If the weapon is successfully disarmed, it cannot be picked up until the end of the combat.
- Iron Arrow (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 6/5/1/1/30)
Allows caster to conjure forth a metal arrow and shoot it at a target; damage is 4xYang successes.
- Professional Courtesy (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 6/2/1(2)/1/12)
Once per run, may request a favor or consideration from another Master.
- Reputation (P/F/S/Con/Cos: 6/2/1(2)/1/12)
I have a reputation as a Master Sorceror.
- Lvl 1:
- A Phoenix, Most Impressive (Freq 2, Power 3: +3 dice for social actions, 1/run, only usable on Phoenix aspect people or someone who would respect/be impressed by a phoenix)
- Carve Stone (Self taught)
- Know North (Bai/Verity)
- Lvl 2:
- Firestorm (Myeong) (modified)
- Sword's Betrayal (Myeong)
- Piercing Metal Implement (Bai)
- Melt Metal (Bai)
- Lvl 3:
- Destroy Wood (Verity)
- Metal Resists (Verity)
- Core of Steel (Bai)
- Lvl 4:
- Skin of Bronze (Bai))
- Lvl 5:
- Destroy Wood (lvl 3)
- Skin of Bronze (lvl 4)
- Split Sorcery dice unlimited ways (lvl 5)
- Simultaneously promote Iron Arrow to lvl 6 and buy Double Sorcery dice at lvl 5 (either freq 5/pow 6 or freq 4/pow 7)
- Increase frequencies of Firepower and Sorcerous Ease
- Increase frequency of reputation schtick under Mastery tree
- Get second copy of Firestorm
Schtick Want List
- Fine Control (for Sorcery)
- Split Sorcery dice (freq 5, power 6 version = lvl 5)
- Double dice for sorcery (freq 5, power 6 or 7 = lvl 5 or 6)
- Other high level metal schticks
- Wrath of the Phoenix (from Yanyu) (power 8)
- Earned: 510
- Spent: 496
- Available: 14
|KS: Life Magic||3||5||15|
|KS: Myeong Clan||1||1||1|
|KS: Savanna of Tears||2||1||2|
|KS: Spirit/Demon World||5||3||15|
|KS: Twelve Kingdoms||3||2||6|
|Magical Item Analysis||3||6||18|
|Scrounging ("extra broad")||5||1||5|
|Sleight of Hand||3||1||3|
|Wear Metal Armor||3||8||24|
Inherent Skills (Max 5)
- Earned: 504
- Spent: 502
- Available: 2
- More Shadow Magic
- More tactics/strategy
Money: 0.3274 tael (+money invested with Li Merit)
My pet phoenix: 炮, aka cannon/explosive/bomb (pronounced 'pow'). Referred to colloquially as 小 炮 ("Shao Pao" = "little cannon").
- Necromancy staff
- 11 ritual taper (spend 1 Chi, get +1 die on all rolls for that ritual)
- Leather satchel of ritual powders
- Potion of Speak to Dead Plants
- Ordinary sword, Empire manufacture (taken from the aftermath of a battle beyond Northern wall)
- Star scale armor (4 resistance), repaired for 170 zhu
- Deluxe hotboat
- Hopboat repair kit
Returned to the Myeong Clan:
- Ugly Tiger breastplate (3 resistance), -2 charisma if not dark
- Ugly Tiger helm (+1 resistance for head attacks, face obscured), -2 charisma, if not dark
- Ugly Tiger sword
- Ugly Tiger saddle
- Ugly Tiger tabard
Temple land deeds:
- Iron Mountain
- Qin Chao Steppes
- Forest of Chin
- Hon'eth Arcade