Sorcery is the mastery over the five Elements (often, particular mastery over a single element).
There are also particular relationships between the elements, which are important in both ritual and individual spells. The first relation is creative; the second destructive. (The third parenthetical one is also destructive, and is the opposite of the creative relation).
- Earth bears Metal; it absorbs Water (and smothers Fire)
- Metal carries Water; it chops Wood (and breaks up Earth)
- Water nourishes Tree; it quenches Fire (and rusts Metal)
- Wood feeds Fire; it parts Earth (and absorbs Water)
- Fire creates Earth; it melts Metal (and burns Wood)