Beastmastery Detection Experiments
This is a ritual to make one-shot items to detect beastmastered or otherwise mind-magicked people. I have confirmed that this is a power 5 ritual.
- In current ritual form, Artist = Empire, the Northerner's actions represent their interference in the affairs of the Empire.
- Core magic theme is "Hidden control by Northerners, seeking of that control by Empire"
- Transformation of person to animal, as they are being controlled as animals
- Representation of appropriate Empire spirits/countries within the ritual
Modified scenes with seeking added to them:
- Northerner uses lemon juice to put hidden animal symbol on paper. Artist must find/avoid that paper.
- Bloodhound must find the Northerner's scent amongst set of target animals (real or stuffed).
- Northerner steals paper that has been prepped above; puts it inside human-shaped Russian doll; Seeker must find which one has the correct paper inside.
The items will be origami animals that can be burned & when you look thorough the smoke you can see mind influences on people. Either Cranes or Phoenixes. Crane is for sight, Phoenix for magic - Phoenix might object less to her image being lit on fire...
Nope, that doesn't quite work. The smoke flows towards anyone beast mastered in the area.
Invoke the Tao:
- Int with Feng Shui to lay out the implements and materials. 1st person
- Yang with Magic Ritual!
- Wits with Perception to find and select the correct ones! 2nd person
- Yin with Magic Ritual.
Invoke the Elements:
Spirits that seem appropriate to invoke include Bear, Dog, Crane, Magpie, Phoenix.
- Place the paper into a metal frame to write on it. Magpie in some way?
- Calligraphy to draw characters for sight, mind, etc. on the paper. Creation with Metal. (to make this metal use a metallic ink or metal stylus or stamp?)
- Make this Creation with Earth by using charcoal or chalk to write with. Write signs for the Empire with explicit Dragon iconography.
- Animal Handling to have a dog place a wet paw print on the paper. Control of Water (Wanted Dog cause he's one of the defending spirits.)
- Make it a bloodhound.
- Crumble up a stone and use the sand to dry the paper? Destruction of Earth.
- Dismantle the frame. Destruction of Metal.
- Origami to fold it into a paper crane (or phoenix). Transformation of Wood.
The dust goes into your eyes! Yang soaked by perception dice loss!
- No longer any dust. Cut yourself on the metal pieces to soak the Yang.
The Yin goes into the crane!.
New Plan: 3 person ritual- The Artist, The Northerner/Beastmaster, The Defender
The Artist rolls Int with Feng Shui and Yang with Magic Ritual to invoke the Yang & lay out the implements.
The Northerner comes in and messes with it. An animal comes in and messes it up.
The Defender uses Wits with Perception and Yin with Magic Ritual to find the correct implements in the mess & invoke the Yin.
The Artist uses Calligraphy to draw symbols for the Empire with dragon iconography using charcoal on the paper. May also have art or drawing skill to add images. The Northerner tries to distract with bird calls. A loud animal with a wire tied to it tries to distract the artist.The Defender quiets them somehow or covers the artist's ears. Creation with Earth
The Artist brings in a bloodhound, the Northerner tries to entice it away with food, the Defender makes an Animal Handling roll to have it place a pawprint on the paper. Control of Water Change to the Northerner has an animal on a thin wire that he uses to try to distract the hound.
The Artist folds the paper into a crane using Origami, the Northerner uses a symbolic metal puppet to interfere, the Defender destroys the puppet. Transformation of Wood/Destruction of Metal. The northerner has a man with a thin wire attached or tries to attach the wire to the defender. The defender breaks the wire
The Yang is soaked by ? getting cut by the wire or injured defending ? The Yin goes into the Crane.
Experiment 1: Invoking the Tao
Test 3x3 grid
Artist: Feng Shui/Ceremonies/Noble Lady Pastimes
Northerner: Cats/Self/"beastmastered" guy
Defender: Wits w/Per as either Find the Items in the mess/see the attack coming & block it/grab the important objects before attack arrives.
We get four points!
Cats are dodgy. Noble Lady Pastimes works with the aesthetic, Feng Shui was ok. Something artistic. Find the items works best.
Build up to beastmastery of men, appropriate escalation and drama. Use something to indicate control like threads. Final step would have him trying to control the Defender! Or some other guy and the defender can cut the thread. .
Make them metal threads so that can be destruction of metal!
Experiment 2: Calligraphy
Spend 50 li on art supplies and try out different papers/charcoals and seeing which symbols seem to work best.
Xiao Fa does Calligraphy. 12 - tries many different types of calligraphy involving dragon & phoenix, or implying a sinuous dragony form without including dragon, etc.
Takanata does Art. 14 - dragon and phoenix, map of empire, northern wall, etc
KuanXi does Art Appreciation 14
Something small and symbolic in the heart of the origami that doesn't show until it's burned. Can get something from transforming one piece of art into another piece of art when its folded.
Art to outside, symbol to inside.
If we do the magpie frame, the defender can hold onto it and be damaged. Metal threads work.
We get two points!
Experiment 3: Bloodhound!
We borrow a bloodhound from house Tokai.
How do we imbue the paper with bloodhoundness using a wet paw print that doesn't mess up the art or origami? Only one print.
Distraction could be another animal with a metal thread on it. Or a lure of food and a metal thread ready to wrap around it. Or there could be a thread on our hound?
What kind of things distract it? Where can we put the paw print? How to do threads for symbolic beast mastery?
Think about symbology of threads throughout the whole ritual and how we use them on each step in a consistent way. <- different experiment.
So, for this test we'll look at what will distract the animal at the 5 success level. Hunting dog.
Fox/ Ferret / bunny rabbit / skunk
Fox is winner in terms of the dog wanting to go after it. Skunk is winner for dog wanting to go away from it.
We need a bigger piece of paper. The paw print could be the symbol in the middle..... How do we place the paper so that the print can be put on it? Do this step first? Do we put it on the floor or get the dog to jump on the table? Or go up a ramp onto the table?
If we have the dog go up a ramp to the table to make his mark it's a harder roll, so the distraction can be lesser?