Detection of Beastmastery
A Ritual to Seek Targets of Beastmastery
Themes and Narrative:
- In this ritual an Imperial Artist will create a paper crane that, when burned, reveals the presence of Beastmastery by sending the smoke towards the one so influenced.
- Throughout the ritual a second person, dressed as a Northern Beastmaster, will attempt to interfere and be thwarted by the Artist.
- The theme revolves around hidden control by Northerners and seeking of that control by the Empire.
- The Spirits of the countries bordering the wall are symbolically included.
- The ritual is best conducted at night in a military tent set up as a study.
- Several sheets of unryu (mulberry) paper
- A porcelain handled brush with bear bristles (for calligraphy)
- A horn-handled brush (for acid/etching)
- Iron-sulfate (brown) ink & ink stone
- Monocle - good quality, effective (Kuan-Xi has an elegant delicate monocle that gives +1 skill in Eye for Detail the works well.)
- Bowl with water in it
- A bloodhound
- Several boxes with metal latches
- One should be made of multiple types of metal
- The others (decoys) should all be one type of metal, but different, ex. Footlocker, jewelry box, etc. each containing a symbolic animal.
- Etching compound
- A beeswax candle with dragon carvings on it.
- Robes appropriate for an Imperial Artist
- A Beastmaster costume
- A military tent set up as a study (desk, good desk set, table, etc.)
The following rolls must be made by the Artist, for five successes each:
- Wits with Perception (Invoking the Yin)
- Yin with Magic Ritual
- Cha with Performance (Invoking the Yang)
- Yang with Magic Ritual
- Dex with Painting (Destruction of Metal)
- Dex with Calligraphy (Creation with Earth)
- Charisma with Animal Handling (Control of Water)
- Dex with Origami (Transformation of Wood)
- Resolve with Strong Will (Sacrifice)
Invoking the Tao
In the dark of night, the Imperial Artist stands in his study in a military tent. He is dressed as befits an Imperial of his stature and has a monocle hanging from a ribbon around his neck. A bloodhound lies on the floor and several metal boxes are strewn about the edges of the space, along with a bowl of water for the dog. A Northern Beastmaster has snuck into the tent and is hidden nearby. Paper, pens, brushes, etching compound, and ink are on a table near his desk, which is illuminated by a beeswax candle with dragons on it.
The Artist uses his Monocle with Perception(Wits) and Magic Ritual(Yin) to notice the Beastmaster in the tent. He loudly declaims using Performance(Cha) and Yang(Magic Ritual) to startle the Beastmaster, who retreats to a dark corner by the exit, but does not leave entirely.
Invoking the Elements:
As the Artist prepares to do his work, the Northerner steals the stack of paper from the table behind him and hides it in the box made of many metals. The Artist notices that the paper is missing and opens the correct box using Painting(Dex) with etching compound to eat through and destroy its metal latch, retrieving the paper. The Northerner then places animal grease subtly on one of the pieces of paper when the Artist turns to his desk for a moment. The Artist throws out the soiled paper and uses Calligraphy(Dex) to place a Bear symbol on one of the clean pieces. The Artist calls his Bloodhound using Animal Handling(Cha) and gets the Dog to place a wet paw-print on the paper. The Bloodhound sees the Northerner and barks at him, scaring him into leaving the tent. The Artist folds the paper into an Origami(Dex) Crane.
To finalize the ritual the Artist gently cups the crane in one hand and brings it near the candle flame and then the Artist’s other hand is interposed to protect it using Strong Will(Resolve), taking the damage from the candle and soaking the power.
- Healing of the ritual damage will reduce the effectiveness of the crane.
- If damage beyond the minimum is taken, healing will not reduce its effectiveness so long as the damage taken is still above the minimum.
- The crane will detect people who have been Beastmastered strongly and people with Beastmastery corruption weakly.
- It does not detect other forms of Northern magic.